Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Dogs and Gardens Do Not Mix

Well friends. This creature here has eaten not one, not two, but three of my gorgeous, almost-ripe heirloom tomatoes. Don't let the cuteness distract you. She's evil. 


I'm not sure what it is, but it seems like the day before I would pick a tomato, I come outside to find that it is half eaten. I'm such a sucker that in the beginning, I considered that the culprit might be a rabbit or squirrel. But then I remembered-- my dog is a bitch. 

The solution? Chicken wire. That green plastic fence just wasn't cutting it against my tomato-stealing pit bull. I didn't even know dogs liked tomatoes! 


Here she is, fewer than 20 days before I have to pack her up and move a few miles away. I managed to get 10 pretty large plastic pots on clearance from Target for about two dollars each. Hopefully the tomatoes live, but I'm worried about the rest. I'll probably end up just calling this season a wash and trying again in the fall. Sadsies. 

-Leah

No comments:

Post a Comment